Monday, December 21, 2009

I'll be home for Christmas....

...if only in my dreams.

Sorry, Bing, but Skywalker isn't dreaming.  He is home for Christmas!

December 17, 2009 is now Skywalker's "Gotcha Day," the day he went to his forever home.


We got up very early that day, not difficult at all for me since I had been preparing for Skywalker for his new home the night before, trembling the whole time, dreading the parting, and then barely slept.  He got a bath and looked more handsome and shiny-coated than ever.  And quite adorable wrapped up in a fleece blankie post-bath.  All the animals seemed to know that a change was pending and they were all quite solemn after a rambunctious day of running in the snow and having "the greatest day ever."  Skywalker had no idea though just how great his life was about to come.

The employees at Alaska Air Cargo in Phoenix were very kind, letting me keep Skywalker out of the crate with me until right before he was to be loaded on the plane.  Naturally, Skywalker was very well behaved and charming so that one of the employees threatened to keep him.  That feeling was nothing compared to mine.  I shook like a leaf and kept whispering to Walker that we still had time to make our escape.  How could I be so stupid to let a wonderful dog like this, once he had been in my life, to leave my life?  Then, I started my foster mantra:  "This is a world-class dog who has been adopted by a lovely family who can offer him even more than me.  If he stays with me, another needy rescue Cairn will be robbed of a foster home to prepare him for his forever family.  It is the cycle.  I must be unselfish."

And, so, I was (barely) able to let Skywalker go.  When he was loaded into the crate on the forklift, he looked at me in panic, scratched the crate door, then laid down and stuck his nose through the wires.  Oh, Skywalker, that started the tears.

Talking to new Dad some hours later reassured me of Skywalker's safe arrival and his immediate confidence, coming out of his crate to greet the family cat and check out his new home.  Wow!  I knew he could do it.

The next day, Skywalker's Dad added icing to the cake by emailing and sending photos!





Skywalker, our beloved first foster, you have left HUGE footprints on all of our hearts.  We are so happy for your new great life.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you and thanks to the new parents of beautiful Skywalker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any news on how Skywalker is doing in his new home?

    ReplyDelete