Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Losing Newtie changed everything

On 7/27/09, my daring, reckless, very Cairn Newtie, my true Heart Dog, escaped out of the fence and was killed by a car right in front of my house on our dead end road.  It was right before his 3rd birthday.  My life was shattered.  I couldn't seem to recover.  My husband, Paul, wanted to immediately get a new puppy but that wasn't acceptable to me. Paul even found a puppy he really wanted, unfortunately not a CP kid or any kind of rescue, but another crazy little Cairn.  After several months, the puppy was still available, Paul still wanted him, and I was so lonely without Newt (remember, Parker is Paul's Heart Dog) the baby that I said yes. 




View Newt's memorial on CPCRN - be sure once you are on the memorial page to click his plaque for additional memories.

 
So My Shadow Boo Radley, now often known as Rad the Mad or Rocket Rad, joined us in September.  He helped my recovery so much but he also made Paul and me think more about how important dogs are in people's lives and how often dogs don't have the chance to be loved.  That was our turning point of stopping to think about ourselves when it came to fostering a dog for CPCRN.  What was fear of our being hurt when rescue dogs are in so much need and often have been hurt terribly themselves, often over many years?  That did it.  The application to be a Foster Home for Col Potter was immediately sent off.  CPCRN depends on very busy volunteers and is also known for its due diligence, so even though we had adopted twice from CP, we still had to be "vetted."   We passed and we waited.  Now we were so eager to have a foster dog that I started begging for one!  The wise people at CPCRN knew what they were doing though.

No comments:

Post a Comment